Experience the charm of a Queenslander home – Exclusive use holiday home
Multi-award winning and officially rated 4 Star Self-catering
Ideal base for touring the Fraser Coast Region - Book now! 0438 195 443
Eco Queenslander Sustainable Holiday Home Project
Eco Queenslander Green Features
At Eco Queenslander, we pay attention to ways, big and small, in which we can be responsible citizens for the planet. These are the main features that assist Eco Queenslander being a sustainable home:
Check availability and book online
- Solar electricity system (1.5kW PV system) that exports power to the grid
- Roof insulation
- Two 5,500 l rainwater tanks using gravity feed to avoid the use of an electric or mechanical pump; one is connected to the washing machine; the other one is used for watering the garden
- Renovations carried out with an eye to environmental friendliness reusing as many old materials as possible; namely, the old claw bath and the timber for the palings under the house
- Planting of many trees and shrubs in the garden
- Four and a half-star energy rated fridge and three and a half-star energy rated washing machine
- No clothes drier; linen sun dried on a clothes line
- Energy efficient lighting with compact fluorescent lights (CFLs)
- Dual-flush toilet
- Three-star shower rose
- Use of green washing and cleaning detergents and air freshener
- Use of toilet paper made from used office paper 100% biodegradable
- Insect screens installed on all doors
- Fans in bedrooms & lounge room as an alternative to air-conditioners in summer
- Blankets and doonas as an alternative to heating in winter
- Recycling and composting
- Using garden debris (leaves, etc.) as mulch
- Promotional brochures and invoices printed on recycled paper
- Information sheets and magazines on green living made available to our guests
- Sponsor and member of various environmental organisations
- Open day for Sustainable House Day every year (September)
- Conducting Go Green(er!) workshops at Eco Queenslander to raise awareness on environmental issues
- Week-end and holiday packages offered via Eco-Queenslander are in association with other green businesses
- Bicycles available free of charge to encourage our guests to leave their car at home whilst visiting the town
- Encouraging guests to be conscious of the environment and do what they can here and at home
Eco Queenslander is a sustainable holiday home which has an overall zero carbon footprint. Its production of energy with the photovoltaic system offsets its use of electricity and water and waste production.
Earth Check Accreditation
Eco Queenslander was Earth Check Assessed in 2013. EarthCheck recognises organisations that engage in sustainable practices and offers a simple and practical tool for operators who wish to become green, clean and more socially responsible.
More info about the EarthCheck Accreditation Program
Eco Queenslander is an ecoBiz Champion with the Chamber of Commerce & Industry Queensland (CCIQ). CCIQ assists Queensland businesses in reducing waste, water and power use, saving money and becoming more sustainable.
More info about the CCIQ EcoBiz Program
United Nation World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO)
Eco Queenslander participated in a study undertaken by the United Nation World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) on Best Practice Ecotourism and was selected to be included in a Compendium of Best Practices and Guidelines for Ecotourism in the Asia Pacific Region. Drawing on the practices and experiences of 35 ecotourism organisations in the Asia Pacific region, this compendium provides specific examples of eco tourism in practice and aims to illustrate how tourism operators are meeting the principles of sustainable tourism, as benchmarked against the Global Sustainable Tourism Criteria (GSTC). For more information on GSTC, visit http://www.sustainabletourismcriteria.org/
The Great Sandy Man and the Biosphere
The Fraser Coast is part of the Great Sandy Man and the Biosphere which was designated as such by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO) in 2009. In other words, we live in a world treasure which contains:
- Major breeding site for endangered marine turtles
- Oldest and largest unconsolidated sand mass in the world
- 7,558 recorded species of fauna & flora
- Declared Dugong sanctuary
- RAMSAR wetlands – internationally declared feeding ground for migratory birds
- Critical habitat for rare and endangered species
- Best observable ancient dune chronological sequencing
- World's largest and highest perched dune lakes
- Whale sanctuary and major transitory point for humpback whales on their annual southern migration
Clean and Clever Energy Champion
Eco Queenslander is a Clean and Clever Energy Champion with the Burnett Inland Economic Development Organisation (BIEDO). This program assists businesses, communities and local governments to reduce their water, waste and energy use in the Wide Bay region.
More info about the BIEDO Clean and Clever Program
Go Green(er!) Workshops at Eco Queenslander
Choose to become part of the climate change solution today and undertake the Low Carbon Diet!
When we drive the car, take a shower, make a cup of tea, cook a meal or listen to a CD we use energy and that releases CO2. The average Australian household releases around 14 tonnes of CO2 each year. By contrast, the average Swedish household's contribution is only 6.8 tonnes. By reducing our household carbon footprint we can all do something about climate change. It begins with simple actions, such as deciding what we want from the fridge before opening the door and hanging our washing on the clothes line rather than using the drier. And the great bit is that it is easy and doesn't have to cost a lot of money. Everyone can help address climate change, so get informed by participating to one of our Go Green(er!) Workshops and make a difference to our world!
Email us for more information or call 0438 195 443. The content and duration of the workshops depend on how much you already know and how much you want to learn.
The Low Carbon Diet is an initiative of the Queensland Government.
Copyright Eco Queenslander 2008-2014     Check availability and book online